Finished all three ornaments for my great-nieces on Monday night and took them to the post office on Tuesday morning. I was only one day behind schedule, so I am feeling pretty pleased with myself.
The kids already get tons of great toys and gifts from their family at holiday time, so this year I decided to do something handmade and personalized for their Christmas tree instead. In that sense, these are really more like gifts for their parents, I suppose! These were a lot of fun to stitch, and even though there were a few moments when I was afraid my hands would give out before I could get them done in time, it all worked out just fine.
Each ornament is a Lizzie Kate Monthly Stamp Flip-It design and was stitched in 18-count Aida Oatmeal using DMC floss as indicated in each chart. I substituted my own buttons for the ones indicated, and changed the names of the months to the childrens’ names by playing around in MacStitch. The designs were finished as little stuffed hanging pillows, with cotton print backs and cloth ribbon from my fabric stash.
This year I decided to stitch personalized Christmas tree ornaments for my great-nieces. I chose a few cute Lizzie Kate Christmas Club Flip-Its designs from 2006 and had a lot of fun charting out the girls’ names using MacStitch. Here’s a WIP picture of the first design mid-name in my hoop. I am actually working on the third one right now and hope to finish it tonight so that I can assemble all three of them this weekend and (fingers crossed) mail them next week.
Both “Woof” and “Meow” are now complete, just have to finish them as ornaments. I changed the floss colors slightly so they would match better, and I didn’t have the charms called for, so I improvised. These Lizzie Kate designs are cute and cheery, I like them very much.
Almost done with this little Lizzie Kate Block Flip-It called “Woof.” I found some matching wide green rick rack for the trim when the piece is done. If I have the time, I plan to start “Meow,” its sister piece, later tonight.
Once again I’ve resorted to using ibuprofen gel on my hands during the day and soaking them in Epsom salts at night to help alleviate the discomfort. Along with stitching for only relatively brief periods of time and take plenty of breaks, this seems to be working out pretty well, and is allowing me to get more stitching done than I have been able to do in a long time.
Now that my friend finally has her birthday gift I can post a full photo of it here! I am really proud of this little Lizzie Kate project because it was an experiment in my ability to recreate something from a photo instead of using a real chart.
Lizzie Kate “Welcome Friends”
18-ct. Oatmeal Fiddlers Cloth, my choice of DMC floss
Stitch count: 81W x 40H
Start 10/1/09 – finish 10/14/09